[nog] LACP between swiches and Linux

Boyan Krosnov boyan at krosnov.org
Sat Nov 29 00:20:14 EET 2014

As usual too little sleep leads to mistakes.

802.1ax is LACP, not MC-LAG. MC-LAG is only available in a few
implementations which follow the LACP protocol, but split one (or both)
of LACP end-points to multiple devices (chassis). To achieve this they
need to do some form of synchronization between the two (or more) parts
of the endpoint.

Now depending on what you are trying to achieve, you may do link
aggregation / bonding without LACP. You may use some other form link
monitoring, e.g. ICMP or ARP. In that case you simply put both ports on
the switches in the same VLAN/VLANs, and make sure frames from a
particular MAC address are always sent over the same link (as switches
don't like updating their mac address table too often).

Best regards,
BK