[nog] Second hand gear from eBay

Vasil Kolev vasil at ludost.net
Sat Nov 29 00:53:58 EET 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 02:29:04 +0200
Marian Marinov <mm at 1h.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I'm curious, what is your opinion about buying second hand network
> gear from eBay?
>
> My experience so far is excellent. I bought 3 48port 1Gbit/s switches
> for under 200$ each in very good condition. I have the same ones in
> my racks and they were more then 1000euro when I bought them as new.
>
> What type of network equipment would you buy second hand?
>
> Marian

I think this mostly depends on the age and market of the second-hand
gear. Most of the old-enough-not-to-be-built-to-RoHS standards stuff is
ok, and if something has worked for 8 years, there's a big probability
that it work for at least a few more (if you can replace fans and other
easily-dying parts).

Most of the carrier-grade stuff was/is designed to live longer than the
usual time carriers/ISPs use it, so it's a good purchase, and with the
prices there you can usually buy enough redundancy not to care if
something dies.

Most of the stuff I would buy is gigabit, as the 10G hasn't been on the
market long enough to show it's true colors :) I'd buy anything I've
used in production for more than 4-5 years (for example,
cisco WS-C3560E-24TD or WS-C4900M, or the 7609S if I can find it cheap
enough with the modules it needs) or that some people have and can
recommend (some stuff was made to last).