[nog] Second hand gear from eBay

Boyan Kurtev boby.kurtev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 03:17:32 EET 2014

Hi Marian,

My experience with used/refurbished network gear from eBay & Amazon is
positive as well.
Is it a good or bad idea ? Well...it depends ! If you are looking for
networking equipment
for study/training - there is no better/cheaper alternative. But if you are
looking for
equipment for your production/business critical environment - then my
simple answer is NO.
I always purchase new equipment ( or use existing spare ) for new sites,
and always with
vendor support ( SmartNet in my case )

There are a lot more factors than just the price of your your network gear.
If you or the management is ready to accept the risk of network downtime,
that's OK - you can use whatever equipment you like. It's your network
after all.

Another economical alternative is to have hot/cold spare in your office (
if you don't
have support contract ) and simply replace faulty device.

By the way are the switches you bought Dell PowerConnect ?

Regards,
Boyan