[Us] Makerspace Thesis update

Drew Vincent iba3413 at HS-Worms.DE
Wed Jan 8 19:28:56 EET 2020

Hello,

I am following up on my previous email about makerspaces after some
feedback.
I had feedback after the first email and adapted this process. I have
enclosed a new survey on a secure server as some people expressed
concerns about saving their data on the google server. That link is here
(and still only a 2 minute survey). If you have already filled it out
then there is no need to do it again.

https://maker.limequery.org/621156?lang=en

Thank you for all the valuable feedback so far, especially the critical
feedback,
Drew
University of Applied Sciences - Hochschule Worms, Germany
drew.vincent at hs-worms.de

A bit more information for the curious of what I am hoping to accomplish
:

I started out with site visits to spaces through Europe and Canada. As I
toured these spaces and inquired about the way they grew and challenges
along the way many common trends emerged.  Each new problem and stage in
growth was quite similar to other spaces in principal, but with
completely different approaches, largely built on the experience and
expertise of the membership.

As I visited these spaces and heard their challenges current and past
challenges I was able to share an example from another space that had a
great solution to it, connecting founders along the way and sharing some
of the interesting things I had seen.

 From this, I decided that I could include an additional portion of my
research, a wiki tool where spaces can share these best practices. I
plan to synthesise these best practices from my interviews into
categories and open source share this upon the conclusion of my
research.

My interest with makerspaces lay with the community they develop, a
sense of place for a group of people, I hope that we can create a
similar community of resources for spaces to assist each other, stop
innovating the same challenges and find new challenges and opportunities
to grow. Let's turn "How do you manage broken tool reporting" into
something much more impactful.

I ask in the survey about existing resources in an effort to find a
common one and connect with them to see about contributing these
findings to their resources instead of trying to create a new
platform/brand for this.

Regards,
Drew