[nog] Second hand gear from eBay

Boyan Krosnov boyan at krosnov.org
Sat Nov 29 00:38:46 EET 2014

Here's my two cents.

So far we've purchased 2x Dell 8024F (24x 10GE SFP) and 2x Mellanox
IS5025 (36x IB QDR) switches off ebay. We use them in our testing lab,
with frequent reconfiguration, but in a closed environment. Here's a
photo of the IB switches
https://twitter.com/bkrosnov/status/494775865101017088 . We are
extremely happy with these purchases.

In terms of using low-cost gear for production environments, I think
network operators have a lot to learn from web companies. If you design
your system so that you don't care if a few devices fail, then you don't
depend on hardware so much. I know this is hard to achieve in complex
network topologies, but emerging trends/technologies such as OpenFlow
and "bare metal and white box switches" are coming to help it along.

Best regards,
BK