[nog] IPv6

Vasil Kolev vasil at ludost.net
Tue Sep 2 11:34:03 EEST 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 11:25 +0300, Marian Marinov wrote:
> On 09/02/2014 11:18 AM, Vasil Kolev wrote:
> >> From what I've seen, there has to be a link-specific network, and to
> > route a /64 through it. In most cases there should be more than a /64 routed, e.g. a /60 or something (as people
> > have more than one segment anyway).
> Having a /64 for a transport seams like a huge waste of IPs. Exactly what happened to IPv4 in its early days :)

The issue is that there is no routing that handles anything longer
than /64. Look at IPv6 addresses not like a ipv4 address, but two others
- a network address (to route to) and host address (inside the network).
Most routers have a table that has only /64 entries, nothing less.

And, on the other hand, if you have a /32 (as an ISP), you have 2^32 /64
network, e.g. as much as the WHOLE current ipv4 address space. Even
"wasting" half of it on p-t-p links doesn't really matter.

--
Regards,
Vasil Kolev