[nog] Monitoring BGP announcements

Vasil Kolev vasil at ludost.net
Fri Jul 22 08:54:44 EEST 2016

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 02:42:18 +0300
Marian Marinov <mm at 1h.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I host servers out of 4 different DataCenters. I have /19 prefixes
> that are split into multiple /22 to /24 prefixes that I give to the
> DC to announce.
>
> Recently we had an issue in Amsterdam where one /24 announce was not
> announced for a period of about 10min. Unfortunately I found about
> this from the customer...
>
> So how are you monitoring your announcements?
>
> In my case I found about the issue from RIPE Stat, but now I'm
> thinking about monitoring the visibility of my networks every
> 10seconds from 4 different routers. Is there already available
> software for that?
>
> Marian

I'm using bgpmon, and there are such similar services that offer this
(they have nodes in a lot of places and can see different issues). They
also monitor prefix hijacking and stuff like that.

The software is easy to do, but probably won't catch everything,
because probably your routers are not that well connected.